THE READING HABITS TAG

Sunday 15 March 2015


When I get back to Doha, I am definitely getting back in to books.

Since I have been in the UK this week, I have stocked up on three new books to bring back with me, as I had run out of reading material after finishing up 'Looking for Alaska' by John Green. I was really disappointed in this book, as I had really enjoyed 'The Fault in our Stars' (the book and the movie), also by John Green, but 'Looking for Alaska' was just too young for me.

So for a while, I've not had anything to read, but reading really is one of my favourite things to do. And I mean with a proper book in hand. I have the iBooks app on my iPad but I just don't enjoy it as much as curling up with a physical book.

When I stumbled across 'The Reading Habits' tag on Vanilla Crush's blog, I knew this was a tag I would enjoy, so without further ado, here are my answers...

ONE
Do you have a certain place at home to read?
I would say if I am at home, always in my bedroom. I wouldn't tend to read in the communal areas of my apartment as reading is a solo activity, and I get pretty in the zone when I've got my head in a book and wouldn't want to appear to be antisocial! I also really enjoy taking a book down to the pool to read in the sun.

TWO
Bookmark or random piece of paper?
I am a random piece of paper kinda gal...or no bookmark at all! Sometimes I just like to remember where I left off - and then curse at myself when I can't find the right page. I can't abide people who fold the corners of books to mark their page, drives me mad!

THREE
Can you just stop reading, or do you have to stop after a chapter or number of pages?
I like to at least finish my paragraph - I would never stop mid-sentence or anything like that! - but I don't feel like I need to finish a chapter before I can put my book down.

FOUR
Do you eat or drink whilst reading?
I would normally have a bottle of water or a mug of tea to hand if I've settled down for a reading session, but I wouldn't normally eat whilst I read. I would take time out from reading to go and make/get food if I was hungry and have a break, not do the two together.

FIVE
Do you watch TV or listen to music whilst reading?
Definitely not, a book deserves full attention from its reader.

SIX
One book at a time or several at once?
These days, one book at a time as I have been pretty limited to the number of books I have with me in Doha. When I was younger, I used to read a couple at a time depending on my mood, but looking back I'm not sure how I did that!

SEVEN
Reading at home or everywhere?
At home, or at the pool/beach. I get a taxi to and from work and I can't read in the car, and at work I don't tend to take a lunch break so there is no time to read then (or really any place to go to read a book without distraction). When I was living in London and commuting I would always take a book on the over ground and tube with me to pass the time.

EIGHT
Reading aloud, or silently in your head?
Definitely reading silently in my head. I'd sound like a bit of a nutter if I was reading out loud!

NINE
Do you ever read ahead or skip pages?
No, I like to read each page in order and I have never understood people who skip to the back page first! I may be guilty of skim reading a paragraph occasionally if I'm desperate to get to the good bit but more often than not I just read normally.

TEN
Do you ever write in books?
No, never. Even when I was at University I didn't write in any of my course books. I wish I had, as it probably would have really helped me in my lectures and seminars but I have a real thing about damage to books. Even when I buy a book from a shop it has to be in absolutely perfect condition, no creased corners or damaged pages. These days however, I have been guilty of getting suncream on a couple of my books from reading them down at the pool!

If you are a book worm like me, please do the Reading Habits tag and link me to your post!

No comments:

Post a Comment