BOOKSHELF: THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN - PAULA HAWKINS

Tuesday 24 March 2015


THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN - PAULA HAWKINS

Is it terrible of me to admit that this was a Mothers Day present from my brother to my mum that I stole and ran away with to the desert?!

Only kidding. I started reading this the night before I was due to fly back to Doha, and my mum told me to keep hold of it and finish it, and to give it back to her in May when I go to meet her in Dubai.

The Girl On the Train isn't my preferred genre of book, so I was pleasantly surprised to get stuck into it straight away.

This story is told from the point of view of three characters, Rachel, Anna and Megan, all of whom are linked in ways that are revealed throughout the course of the book.

A murder takes place, and the alcoholic main protagonist Rachel knows that she was in the area the night of the murder, but her blacked out memory means that she can't remember why or what happened. She is desperate to solve the mystery.

This is the first thriller written by Paula Hawkins, and I am very pleased to see that this may be turned into a film. It has something 'Gone Girl'-esque about it, and I could definitely see an adaptation of this on the big screen.

I found this book to be quite disturbing - whilst it isn't graphic in its content, it really does go to show that you never know who might be watching you, which is quite an unsettling thought. It really took me back to my commuter days, travelling in to London on the over ground train - I always used to think that I wouldn't fancy living next to a train line and now I am even more sure of this fact!

Maybe next time I'll stick to my light-hearted Chick Lit! That's not to say I didn't enjoy it - I did. The characters were well written, and it really shed light on the dangers and sadness surrounding alcoholism as an illness.

One thing I would say to anyone who reads this, is to keep an eye on the dates. I got a little lost part way through when I just assumed the dates were in order, although it was easy enough to get things straight once I'd realised.

I'm looking forward to hearing my mums verdict on this book once I get it back to her!

1 comment: