DOHA DIARIES: MY WEEK IN THE DESERT #13

Saturday 21 February 2015

Once again, this week kicked off with tennis with Marion. Both of the courts at our apartments were occupied, so Marion suggested we use the St Regis courts, and we had such a good game! Our rallies are getting longer, and we are significantly improving each time we play. I genuinely could have played for hours happily, but I had promised to cook Matt dinner so I had to switch from tennis pro to housewife mode and head back to the apartment to get started on making Spag Bol! We are still considering getting a tennis instructor soon - so far it's been all about mastering getting the ball over the net but I could really do with learning the rules...!

My days off this week were spent down at the St Regis pool with Matt - I keep burning so I think I need to switch up my sun factor! #DohaProblems
The weather has been beautiful all week, except for today where we have had a sandstorm. I woke up this morning and could barely even see the city through the dust.

This is my view on a good day for the purpose of comparison...

And here it is through the sandstorm...

Not quite so pretty!!

On Thursday, after a day of sunbathing at the St Regis, Matt and I had a quick game of tennis and then took ourselves off to the Pearl for date night, to our favourite informal dinner date spot.

It's not posh, it's not fancy, but it does the best dirty burgers I have ever had. I'll do a proper review soon!


As if that wasn't enough naughtiness, we then went to Marble Slab Creamery, who genuinely sell the best ice cream ever. The staff recognise me from my countless visits so I always receive a lovely warm welcome, and they very sweetly rooted through the crate of ice cream that had just been delivered to dig out a tub of salted caramel for me as it's my favourite. Mixed with crushed Oreo's, it's divine!

Feeling very full, we headed home where I joined Marion and Jemma in getting ready for a chilled evening at the Rooftop at the St Regis with some of Marion's lovely colleagues who we met at the handball. I think the Rooftop is fast becoming one of my favourite bars in Doha - there's always a great atmosphere, plus it's a stones throw from our apartment so ideal for popping over for 'one', or partying til the early hours knowing it's easy to get home! On this occasion our night was very civilised as we had work the next day - even when the birthday shots started being passed around!


Friday night was one of my favourite nights this week. The girls and I had decided it was time we had a movie night, so after Jemma had finished work we ordered a Wagamama delivery, hit the lights, and terrified ourselves watching The Purge: Anarchy (which was genuinely the scariest movie I have seen for a long time!)

Jemma and I before the movie...


And Marion during the movie...! ;)


Such a fun evening with my favourite girls :)

Today I received some very shocking and upsetting news from home with regards to my wonderful Auntie Jan who has been in hospital for well over a month now. I don't want to write too much as I don't have all the facts and I want to stay as positive and strong as I can for her, her husband and for my family. I spent a good half an hour on the phone to my family earlier, as my brother and Holly were round at my parents with baby Ryan, so it was lovely to speak to them all at once, and for a while I didn't feel quite so far away from my loved ones.

Life really is a precious thing.

10 comments:

  1. looking forward to your post on Elevation Burger as we've not tried it yet. The ice cream sounds amazing as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both are so good Rosalyn! Maybe a trip for one of your weekends :)

      Delete
  2. The weather was terrible wasn't it! I've nominated you for a blogger award, just cause I love reading yours so much :) Here's the link x Pearl & Peach

    Don't feel obliged to take part but I thought it was a good way to share some good reads x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, thank you Harriet! So sweet. Just read your post now :) xx

      Delete
  3. Yesterday was a little sandier than usual. I love the famous elevation burger sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily today is a little nicer :) I haven't tried the sauce so next time I will have to!

      Delete
  4. That's an amazing view from your room! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks! I feel so lucky to wake up to that view every day, Doha can really be a beautiful place sometimes :)

      Delete
  5. Love Elevation Burger! The sandstorm this past weekend was so gross!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good isn't it! Slightly addicted..

      Delete